(Photo credit: Loving Food Around the Table in RI and Beyond)
Here's my variation:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa to packaged instructions in chicken broth, until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
- Lightly saute the onion, pepper and garlic in the butter, for about 5 mins over medium heat.
- Just as the veggies are finishing up, throw in the summer sausage for about 2 mins. Remove from heat.
- Mix together panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese and season salt.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Add 2 cups of cheese. Slowly add slightly cooled sauted veggies to milk/egg/cheese mixture. Add quinoa.
- Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. Transfer to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with panko crumbs mixture.
- Bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned. For extra crispy topping, broil on high for 3-4 mins. (Be sure to watch it...it will burn quickly.